Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Greenlake Almost Free Music Hall

I played a new venue on Saturday nigh. The former Presbyterian Church on NE Ravenna, now operated by the Presbyterian Counseling Services, has opened it's doors as a music venue, and I was lucky enough to be one of the ones to kick it off. Ned Olsen's son opened up, followed by Mike Kerrick and the Happy Pappy Band. I finished the night off with a good set, although I was a complete spaz with harmonica and capo changes. The venue has potential, and I look forward to returning, both as a performer and a listener.
I went to see Billy Corgan at the Moore on Monday night with Nancy. My friend Bjorn has worked for Billy for years, and he was providing IT support on this tour, which was very "hard-drive" dependent. I think the album "The Future Embrace" is brave. Artists who depart from their formula often get attacked by their loyal fans and often by the industry itself, which leans heavily toward conformity. The album strikes a strange balance between melancholy and hopefulness that I find intriguing and sweet. Billy C announced to the crowd that he was putting the Pumpkins back together, and the result was thunderous applause.
Kelly Krisjanson from the Experience Songwriting Project is putting together a recording session for the next two weeks at his home studio. The first song we work on will be one of Will Morgan's. I'm pretty excited about collaborating with this group some more.

No comments: