Sunday, April 17, 2005

Road Trip

Nancy and I had a nice time on the coast. We stayed at a place called the Lake Quinalt Resort. The cabins are quaint, with lots of privacy and awesome views of the lake. We spent the weekend hiking through the rainforest, seeing trees that were 400 to 900 YEARS OLD! W and the rest of the "conservatives" that continue to wage war on our old growth forests should watch the Tolkein trilogy. I had the sense while walking among the giants in the Olympic rain forest that Carl Rove and Dick Cheney would be squashed like bugs if they ever wandered in there, or maybe that is just my fantasy. When we weren't hiking we were playing cards, watching movies, reading and playing with the cats and dogs that live at the resort. My favorite was Alexandra (of course), a kitten who had been crowned "queen of the north shore" by the resort owner.
Saturday night, we went to the Internet Cafe in Amanda Park. Word had spread that we were in town and that I was a song-writer, so we were treated like royalty when we got there. I sat in with a very fun blue-grass band, then played a short, three song set. I opened with "It's On," followed by "Dreamline Alligator." Finally, in tribute to Neil Young, who recently had a brain anurism, I played "Needle and the Damage Done." The crowd was very receptive. In fact, you could hear a pin drop by the time I began the second song. I'm pleased that Dreamline has come together so well (thanks to Nancy Lou and Jon Auer) as I have the opportunity to record it at Glenn Sound Studios on Tuesday. I'm stoked.

No comments: