Thursday, April 28, 2005

Random Thoughts

Mixing went very well at Glenn Sound. Watching Glenn and Jon produce a recording is like watching Tom Delay create a lie. They truly are master's, no pun intended. It is humbling for a singer to hear his vocal isolated, with no reverb, no guitar to back him, just a lonely, weak sounding voice, unsupported, faint, ok, you get the picture... I had to leave the room. I'm pretty secure, but I also admit that my vocal intonation is not perfect. When I wrap up the EMP class, I am going to hook up with David Kyle and see if he can do for me what he did for Chris Cornel, Nancy Wilson, etc. He lives and works right down the road from me on Beach Drive. Anyway, we decided to leave the lead vocal fairly dry and reverb-out Jon's backing vocal. I think it turned out fairly "dope." Glenn worked his mojo on a guitar buzz he didn't like cause by improperly place microphones (the recording class is learning too) and then he ran one errant note of mine through a machine that corrects the pitch. After I took a razzing for doing a "Rob Thomas" on it, we moved on. It's just one word "that." See if you can hear it when you listen to the song.
I'm basically as happy as a guy can possibly be who still works for a living. Tom-out.

No comments: